Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

 

  Kenney's Fort

Historical Marker

Round Rock, Texas



South Side Palm Valley Blvd 1/2 mile west of Harrell Pkwy (Old Settlers Park)


GPS Coordinates
North 30o 31' 12" - West 97o 38' 13"

UTM 14 R - easting 0651170 - northing 3390729

 
  Dr. Thomas Kenney came to Brushy Creek in 1839 and built a fort. This was the first permanent settlement in what would become Williamson County nine years later. Kenney was befriended by the Native Americans, but was later killed by them in 1844.
 
 
Marker Text

1/2 mile South to the site of Kenney's Fort First settlement in Williamson County. Erected as a home by Dr. Thomas Kenney and Joseph Barnhart in the spring of 1839. Served as a place of defense during Indian raids. Rendezvous of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841. Here the archives of the Republic of Texas en route to Washington-on-the-Brazos were captured on December 31, 1842 and returned to Austin.
 
 
   also read about the building of the fort in this Narrative

Injun Fighting In Early Williamson County History

from the "Tales of Early Days in Texas"
by Capt. F. S. Wade -- Compiled by Cortis Lawrence April, 1942


also view link
Kenny's fort from the The Historic Round Rock Collection

also view link
http://impactnews.com/articles/kenney-fort-first-round-rock-settlement/


view Historical Markers in Round Rock