Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

OCTOBER IN ROUND ROCK (dates in history)


A special thanks the Round Rock Leader for letting the Historical Commission
post these wonderful articles.
The Time Capsules stories are prepared by Bob Brinkman
Texas Historical Commission


1839:   Dr. Thomas Kenney moves his family from Bastrop to Brushy Creek (south of current Palm Valley church), builds the first permanent residence in Williamson County.

 1856:   The Georgetown Independent reports T. C. Thompson of Round Rock has a wheat mill in full operation.

 1897:   A yellow fever epidemic imposes a quarantine on Round Rock and other rail towns.

 1899:   Williamson County bales more cotton than any other county in the United States.

 1910:   The building and stock of the Round Rock Mercantile Company (now Turner Furniture building) burn to the ground, a loss of $40,000.  The Volunteer Fire Department arrive in time to save the drugstore next door.

 1913:   Round Rock plays their first-ever football game, falling 40-0 to Liberty Hill.  Principal J. A. Ferguson also served as head coach.

 1917:   Round Rock schools have a half-day on the 24th as the town celebrates Liberty Bonds Day to support the war effort.

 1919:   The Class of 1920 elects its officers: President Raymond Studer, Vice-President Mayme Bradley and Secretary Olive Crimm.

 1926:   Marion Sunden opens the City Cafe downtown.  Also, the Chamber of Commerce and Round Rock Choral Club are formed.

 1929:   An entry from the Round Rock Cheese Factory wins first prize at the Texas State Fair.

 1938:   Round Rock votes 102-10 to install a $23,000 sewage disposal system through the Works Progress Administration.  Also, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp is active at Pflugerville, working mostly on erosion control projects in the area.

 1941:   Twenty blocks of city streets are paved for the first time.  Paving along Main Street is later extended from the Trinity Home to the Old Settlers Park (now 620 at I-35).  Also, Stony Point rural school is accredited by the state.

 1951:   Dial telephone service arrives, replacing operators in Round Rock.


view other Time Capsule stories