Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

MARCH IN ROUND ROCK, TEXAS 
(dates in history)


          

A special thanks the Round Rock Leader for letting the museum  
post these wonderful articles.
The Time Capsules stories are prepared by Bob Brinkman
Texas Historical Commission


1751:   Spanish build Presidio San Francisco Xavier de Gigedo to protect their three missions in the San Gabriel River valley; at this time 350 Indians lived at the mission, making it the third largest settlement behind San Antonio and Nacogdoches.

 1836:   Tumlinson’s Texas Ranger company, stationed near present Leander, recalled to Bastrop to fight the advancing Mexican army and to cover the retreat of area settlers in the Runaway Scrape.

 1848:   Williamson County, created one month earlier out of Milam County, is organized and named for Robert McAlpin Williamson (“Three-Legged Willie”), Texian soldier, educator, judge and politician.

 1876:   The International and Great Northern Railroad, the first rail in the county, approaches from the east and establishes Stiles Switch (later renamed for Texas preacher historian Homer S. Thrall).

 1878:   The Williamson County Sun carried the following observations about our town: The Brenham Banner states that an organized band of horse thieves has headquarters near Round Rock.  This is home news from abroad…It only costs $12.00 to get drunk and shout “whoop-la” or “wild and wooly” in Round Rock…Since the railroad prospect, a number of strangers are feeling around for real estate investments, and several Round Rockers have visited our place with intentions only known to themselves.

 1896:   Round Rock and Old Round Rock voters decide 127-37 to maintain the 20 cents per $100 property school tax (most other school districts in the county were 10 cents per $100).

 1900:   The Round Rock Debating Society is formed in Old Round Rock, with Professor J. T. Lavender President, Mr. Davidson Vice-President, and Mr. Alsup Secretary.  “Resolved, that war has been more destructive to the human family than intemperance” was decided in the negative.

 1933:   President Franklin Roosevelt declares a national bank holiday to slow the financial panic developing.  In Round Rock, Farmers State Bank stays open, but grocery stores and meat markets close Sundays.

 1934:   George Johns Post # 447 of the American Legion organized, named for the first Round Rock soldier killed in World War I.

 1940:   The Round Rock Cheese Factory is Armour and Company’s second-largest factory in the United States.

1950:   Victor Robertson opens his grocery store in a brand new building, first store on left on way out of town on Highway 81 (southwest corner of Mays and Austin). For many years Robertson’s store was also the town’s bus station.

 1971:   Westinghouse Electric Corporation announces plans to build a large new plant in Round Rock employing 800 people, the first of a wave of high-tech and industrial businesses to locate here.

view other Time Capsule stories