Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

JUNE IN ROUND ROCK TEXAS
(dates in history)


A special thanks the Round Rock Leader for letting the us  
post these wonderful articles.

The Time Capsules stories are prepared by
Bob Brinkman - Texas Historical Commission


1840:   Col. William G. Cooke and engineer William J. Hunt lay out the Military Road for the Republic of Texas from Austin to the Red River, crossing Brushy Creek at Round Rock.

 1857:   Round Rock Masonic Lodge # 227 is organized (and still going today).

 1884:   Livingston M. Mays is named postmaster at Old Round Rock (the post office for Round Rock moves to the railroad townsite).

 1886:   Powerful tornadoes rip through Williamson County, destroying the business districts of Corn Hill and Hutto, and causing damage across 30 miles from north of Georgetown to Rice’s Crossing.

 1891:   The Round Rock Fire Company and Round Rock Band advertise a “grand picnic” for the public.

 1899:   Heavy rains destroy farmland and bring massive flooding to the Brazos River basin, killing more than 200 people.

 1904:   In the scholastic census for Round Rock, J. W. Ledbetter counts 420 students between the ages of 8 and 17; 260 for Round Rock High and 160 for Hopewell.  Also, Round Rock organizes a lodge of the Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.).

 1906:   Round Rock votes 86-73 against incorporating as a school district (seven years later the citizens reverse their decision and the RRISD is formed).

 1909:   The Williamson County Sun lists the 96 automobile owners in the county.

 1921:   The Round Rock school district is down to 351 students, 1/5 the size of Taylor, 100 less than Hutto and barely larger than Florence and Liberty Hill.

 1935:   The Woodmen of the World building is razed as Mays Street is widened to become U.S. Highway 36.  The Leader moves its offices from the WOW building to the former Daisy Café.

 1936:   Mr. and Mrs. Sam Sowell open the S & S Grill on Mays Street just south of Main.

 1944:   Bill and Ann Baker are again the owners of the Sam Bass Café, which began in 1926 and was famous for its “wingless, neckless, backless fried chicken dinners”.  Also, three weeks after D-Day the Rock Theatre screens authentic film footage of the invasion.

view other Time Capsule stories