Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

 

JANUARY IN ROUND ROCK
(dates in history)


          

A special thanks the Round Rock Leader for letting the museum  
post these wonderful articles.
The Time Capsules stories are prepared by Bob Brinkman
Texas Historical Commission


 

1854:   Deed drawn to the Anti-Slave Holding Union Baptist Church in the trusteeship of Zara Stearns, B. F. Smalley and James K. Smalley.

 1860:   H. B. Shepherd, G. W. Davis and Livingston Mays open stores in Round Rock.

 1861:   At the Secession Convention in Austin, Williamson County is one of eight counties to vote against secession (the measure passes 168 votes to 8); Williamson is represented by Thomas Proctor Hughes, Elisha Thompson and C. M. Leseur.

 1878:   The Jan/Feb issue of the Texas New Yorker highlights the new railroad town of Round Rock, population 1,500 and the economic center of 10 counties. As Round Rock prospers as the end of the line for the International and Great Northern Railroad, the population stands somewhere between the 693 counted in a town census and the 2,500 claimed by the Round Rock Headlight. One undeniable fact is that Round Rock has six hotels, while Austin has only five.

 1879:   The San Antonio Daily Express announces that a pious thief in Round Rock has stolen a trunk containing bibles, testaments and song books.

 1899:   County Superintendent B. H. Fisk appoints J.W. Ledbetter school trustee at Round Rock, replacing Dr. Forbes, who moved to Edwards County.

 1915:   Fire destroys Morris Meyer’s two-story store at Georgetown and Lampasas Streets.  The Farmers State Bank is built on the site in 1920 (now Main Street Grill).

 1918:   Round Rock Parent-Teacher Association formed, with Mrs. O. M. Bloom as first president.

 1922:   Round Rock starts the new year with a snowstorm that closes the rail depot.

 1930:   The Leader publishes a special 24-page edition (usual issue was 4 pages) celebrating Armour and Company’s purchase of the Round Rock Cheese Factory.

 1933:   Texas Quarries Inc. ships 150 cars of limestone from Cedar Park to Jacksonville, Florida for the largest stone building in that state.



view other Time Capsule stories