Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

 

George W. Riley House
also called
Lane Riley House
Historical marker

circa 1872

click on thumbnail image for an enlarged view
1302 College Street
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 627265
UTM Northing: 3389563

Lane-Riley House. 1302 College. One-and a-half-story wood-frame dwelling with central-hall with early rear ell addition; exterior walls with board and batten; cross gable roof with wood-shingle covering; front elevation faces east; one exterior and one interior stone chimney, each with corbeled cap; wood-sash double-hung windows with 4/4 and 6/6 lights; single-door entrance with transom and sidelights; one-story one-bay porch with shed roof on east elevation; wood posts. Other noteworthy features include symmetrical three-bay facade; gabled extension with central doorway rises above center bay; exterior chimney with ashlar-cut stone construction extends from north gable end of original; interior stone chimney rises from rear ell; rear ell has gabled extensions--two on north side and one on south side; each gable with 4/4 light windows. Outbuildings include stone-lined cistern with pyramidal roof covering.

Historical Marker Text
Built 1872 by the Rev. S. J. Lane, chaplain, Southwestern University; founder, First Methodist church, Georgetown. Bought 1903 by the Rev. George W. Riley (1853-1925), a grandson of Llano County Indians' 1859 victim, the Rev. Jonas Dancer. G. W. Riley founded or served Methodist churches in Abilene, Beaumont, Douglassville, Mineral Wells, Tyler, and other towns for 48 years. He and wife, Beulah G. (Matthews) moved here to educate children; house remains in family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972
 

view more Historical Markers in Georgetown
view more Historical Markers in Williamson County