Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

 
Founding of Georgetown -
Historical Marker
Georgetown, Williamson County Texas


click on image for an enlarged view
marker is located in the Founders park at
Church and 9th St



GPS Coordinates
Latitude: 30.63593 - Longitude: -97.67606

UTM 14 R - Easting: 0626905 - Northing: 3389790


Marker Text
According to local tradition Williamson County's first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to decide where the county seat should be located. Prominent local landowner George Washington Glasscock, Sr., later joined them and offered to donate an area of land bounded by the tree at one corner and the San Gabriel River to the north and west as a site for the county seat. The commissioners accepted his offer and in July 1848 named the town Georgetown in Glasscock's honor. The landmark oak tree was felled by a storm in 1886. (1994)

 

more on Georgetown History

 

view more Historical Markers in Georgetown
view more Historical Markers in Williamson County