Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

 

Double File Trail - Historical Marker
(there are 2 markers - one on
Hwy 29 and one on Hwy 79)

 


click on thumbnail image for an enlarged view

SH 29, 3 miles east of Georgetown 

 

UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 634948
UTM Northing: 3391180

Historical Marker text
Laid out about 1828 by Delaware Indians, "The Double File Trail" got its name because two horsemen could ride it side by side. The Delawares carved this trace migrating ahead of expanding white settlements. They moved from what they called "the Redlands" in East Texas to Mexico near present Nuevo Laredo. Of the 200 to 250 families reported in East Texas in the 1820s, only about 150 remained after the move. Early sites in Williamson County were settled where this trail crossed waterways. Texas Rangers and the Santa Fe Expedition also traveled the track.


view Hwy 79 marker

view more Historical Markers in Georgetown
view more Historical Markers in Williamson County