Williamson County
Historical Commission

 

 

Atkinson, C.B. and Lilburn, House -
Historical Marker,

circa 1915        

C.B Atkinson House 1914-15
911 Walnut 

GPS Coordinates
Latitude: 30.635932 - Longitude: -97.670914

 

 

This home is a great example of an
Craftsman-inspired early California 1900 bungalow.

Atkinson House. 911 Walnut. One-story wood-frame dwelling; exterior walls with wood shingle siding; gable roof with composition shingles; exposed rafter ends with stick brackets; extended eaves; front elevation faces west; one interior and one exterior cobblestone chimney; wood-sash double-hung windows with 12/1 lights; two single-door entrances with transom; one-bay porch with gable roof inset within west elevation at south corner; tapered cobble-stone piers. Other noteworthy features include bungalow details; three-sided window bay on south elevation; etched-glass front door; transoms over windows on west elevation; shingled foundation skirt tapers outward; house is set back about 100 ft. from street. Outbuildings include two-story garage apartment with details similar to house, but with aluminum sash windows.

 

Primary area of significance: architecture. The most outstanding example of bungalow architecture in Georgetown. Built by Belford Lumber Co. for merchant C. B. Atkinson.

 

 

Marker Text
Belford Lumber Co. built this house in 1915 for real estate businessman Charles Byron Atkinson and his wife, Lilburn (Dimmit), daughter of a prominent local family. C.B. died at the age of 35, five years after its completion. Lilburn later remarried, continuing as owner of the home until 1976. An outstanding example of Craftsman bungalow architecture, the house features transoms, an inset porch with gabled roof, and cobblestone piers and chimney. Other noteworthy details include a three-sided window bay, bracketed eaves, a low overhanging roofline and a shingled foundation skirt. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006

 

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - RTHL Medallion



view more Historical Markers in Georgetown
view more Historical Markers in Williamson County